Preventative Chiropractic Maintenance Care
Chiropractic maintenance care is treatment received in order to prevent future pain or health problems, prevent a relapse, and to improve quality of life. Maintenance care is elective, so that means that the choice is yours!! When it comes to receiving maintenance care, chiropractic patients can be divided into three groups.
The first group of patients see the benefit of preventative care early on, and elect to receive maintenance care after they are helped through their first episode of pain. These patients take a proactive stance on their health.
The next group of patients may decide that after experiencing three or four flare-ups of pain that they would rather not let their body get to that point again! They realize that they do not experience as much pain (or as many health problems) when they receive chiropractic care every 4-6 weeks (for example); regardless if they are experiencing pain at that point or not.
The third group of patients never elect to receive maintenance care, and typically stop care once they are feeling better. They usually reserve going to the chiropractor only when they are in severe pain or when they are experiencing a crisis. These patients take a reactive stance on health care. While there is nothing wrong about this approach, it does limit the number of benefits that chiropractic care can provide them. They use chiropractic for pain relief only.
With all this being said, it is still the patient's decision to receive maintenance care. We cannot, nor do we desire to force anyone into receiving treatment that they do not want. We let our patients benefit from chiropractic as long as they want to. However, our job is educate patients on all their treatment options so that they can make an informed decision about their health care. Think about going to the dentist. Most of us go in for regular checkups/cleanings to prevent cavities. The same can be said for chiropractic treatment. Why wait until you are in pain? Why not help prevent it with regular maintenance adjustments.
Research shows that more regular chiropractic treatment can prevent degenerative changes ("arthritis") from developing. There are many other benefits that patients report from receiving chiropractic care on an occasional basis, even if they are experiencing little to no pain. They are as follows:
1. Better sleep quality - many patients sleep longer and more soundly after an adjustment.
2. Less muscle spasms and numbness - normal moving spinal joints do not irritate muscles, or nerves as much.
3. Better athletic performance- symmetrical joint movement ensures that muscles do not have to strain in order to move a joint. Ever wonder why Tiger Woods, Barry Bonds, Jerry Rice, Michael Jordan, or Lance Armstrong have a chiropractor?
4. Less headaches- many report less frequent headaches and migraines, and if one is experienced they are usually less severe.
5. Less need for medication- Many chiropractic patients report using less medication after starting care. (Especially pain medication and NSAIDS)
As you can see, there can many benefits of receiving chiropractic care on a maintenance schedule. We recommend maintenance care to our patients. However, the decision to receive preventative maintenance is always up to the patient. Whatever you decide, we'll respect that decision.